Hawaiian Language policy

I don’t like diacritical markings in the Hawaiian language.  I know why they are there, because you want people to pronounce the word correctly.  I get that.  But for me, I just prefer not to have them in the word.  I don’t know hawaiian fluently or even a beginners level, only what allot of hawaiian people would know growing up here, but I’ve read so many hawaiian language newspaper articles to know a few more then the average person.  I find I enjoy reading the old papers out-loud much more then I do reading the new hawaiian language articles they have in the Honolulu Advertiser or any new publication written in hawaiian and it’s only because of the okina’s.  Their just distracting.  Maybe if I were fluent I’d feel differently, I can’t say.  Those fluent in hawaiian don’t really say anything about it.  Seems to just be the instructors who make a fuss.  I also don’t use them in my own genealogy.  That’s mainly because when I did, I found I had duplicate entries of the same name only because the okina was in the wrong place.  I just don’t use them in surnames & especially the hawaiians with one name.  So that’s why you won’t find them used very often if at all in this blog.  I basically follow the policy set forth by the Council on Native Hawaiian Advancement, which I found on Edgy Lee’s facebook profile......

Our Hawaiian Language Policy:

Pacific Network follows other Native Hawaiian media sources and organizations with respect to our policy on diacritical markings in Hawaiian language.

Like the Council on Native Hawaiian Advancement policy of "recognizing that ka olelo makuahine o Hawaii nei was an oral language and there were varying dialects among the islands, CNHA has adopted a policy of excluding diacritical markings in our publications except where it is a self-identified part of a company or person’s name.", Pacific Network adopts a similar policy and additionally incorporates diacritical markings in main title headings and some “artwork”.

He Liona

Comments

Popular Posts